Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic top ten things on your reading wishlist – those plots, characters, places, genres, etc. that you would like to see more of in the books you read. You can join in at this post.
1. More aliens. Either invasions of Earth, visitors to Earth, or books that take place on another planet.
2. Less romance. It seems like every YA book has some form of romance in it, even when it is completely unnecessary to the plot.
3. No love triangles. If there must be romance, I’d like it to be nice and straightforward. No one in my life has ever been in a love triangle and they’re over done.
4. High fantasy. And by that, I just mean completely new worlds not of this Earth. Like Middle Earth or Tortall.
5. Marauder-era Harry Potter prequels. I can dream.
6. More present parents. It can be a two parent, single parent, grandparent, foster parent, whatever parent household, but as long as they are not completely absent and clueless as to what their teens are doing, I would be happy.
7. Amnesia. Kind of a weird one, but I’m on an amnesia kick lately. I think it’s fascinating and would love more YA and MG that explore it.
8. Techies. Some good ol’ sci-fi that deals with awesome technology and the people that interact with it.
9. Zombies. Can never have enough zombie books. I’d like to see more that take place during the lead up to the outbreak and the beginnings of it.
10. True dystopian. I’m a firm believer that dystopian and post-apocalyptic books are completely different. The Giver? Dystopia. Shatter Me? Post-apocalyptic. I want more dystopian that acknowledges that society has been changed and created with the purpose of being perfect and definitely seems like it. But at it’s heart, there are major flaws and only our main character, or a few people, discover it.