Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today’s topic is “Favourite Kick-ass Heroines.” This week was tough, but I think I’ve found ten great female leads from ten great books/series. You can join in at this post.
1. Eva/Addie from What’s Left of Me by Kat Zhang – these two souls in one body have a huge fight ahead of them, and don’t just sit down and roll over. They fight for what they need and want, and what’s right.
2. Puck from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater – defying tradition to participate in a race with killer horses? Puck is one tough cookie!
3. Hermione from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling – smart, tough, magical, loyal and prepared. Hermione has it all. Plus she’s a bookworm. How could I not think she’s kick-ass (she punched Malfoy for crying out loud!)?
4. Nita from So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane – magic, strength, smarts. Nita goes through a lot of tough stuff, but manages to fight and come out the other side worn but together. She has loyalty and luck on her side.
5. Katniss from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I don’t even think I need to explain this one. Smart, a fighter, loyal and brave. Katniss is full of strength even when she doesn’t think so.
6. Darla from Ashfall by Mike Mullin – Darla is definitely a survivor. She’s tough, snarky, smart and can stay alive in the toughest situations.
7. Sydelle from Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken – Sydelle is confident, smart, capable and determined. She gets kind of thrown into a war and makes it work for her.
8. Lena from Delirium by Lauren Oliver – Lena rebels against everything she knows for love. And even once that love is gone, she still continues on and fights for change.
9. Alanna from Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce – Alanna is another one who rebels against societal norms and fights for what she wants. She’s strong, independent and loyal.
10. Cimorene from Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede – no-nonsense, competent, tough, smart, Cimorene is not your traditional princess.